Banner
Home The Island The Church
The Church

View on Map

Jegindø Church is no museum. It is the setting for an active congregation.

Parish churches elsewhere are historical monuments, remnants of the Middle Ages. Our church is almost new. It was built in 1919, because there was, and still is, a need for it. When the old church was torn down, its chancel became the vestry of the new church. This saved money and got around the restrictions of the church authorities, who refused to allow the building of a brand new church but where happy to let the old church undergo a thorough restoration.

Behind the modern church exterior the best of the old traditions from the evangelical revival if the last century are carried on. The religious roots of the parish reach back even further. Catholic ritual survived here until the beginning of last century. And on religious holidays we still ring the very bell, that first sounded on a day in August 1463.